Thursday, August 4, 2011

What is Delicious?

What is Delicious?
by Kathy McLaughlin
I do a lot of work on the computer and I think Delicious would possibly be a good tool for me but let's find out! Delicious is supposed to help organize our bookmarks and keep them online so we can access them from any computer.

First I tried to import my favorites for the Graduate Teaching Certificate program into it. Did it work? Yes, it worked, yeah!

Now once you get your bookmarks into Delicious you will want to tag them. Tagging is a way to sort your bookmarks into different folders. You will want to tag them with the appropriate words so you can search for them. This article on social or selfish tagging was interesting but is a little dated so I thought I would see if there have been tagging conventions developed so searching is more effective. Social tagging is the attempt to use words that others will use in their searches, selfish is when you tag for yourself.

This site is good for the beginner like me and is current.  A simple explanation of what a tag is and how to tag and it has some good tips such as:

  • use singular words,
  • don't be too broad 
  • use words others use 
  • limit tags to 3 words
I think I will be using my Delicious account much more now that I have imported my first bookmarks and I have a better idea how to tag things. Now just to see if I can access it from other computers!

On a personal note:
  Well did I feel lost! I have never done a blog but really enjoy technology and was I surprised when I didn't know what I was doing at all.

I have spent my life in Seward NE. Swimming is one of my favorite things to do. I also love to read and have been trying to learn Spanish for about 4 years, probably know about what a first year student knows at the end of class.

I have four beautiful children and one amazing granddaughter! My husband and I have been married for 36 years. I look forward to learning as much as I can cram in during this class.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, we did it! Our 1st Blogging experiences are under our belts, yea!

    I had never heard of "Delicious", so thanks for sharing about that. You got my curiosity going so I looked up:
    http://www.slideshare.net/digitalmaverick/what-is-delicious-presentation
    to learn some more.

    I've got a gmail account so usually paste links I wish to save into my Drafts folder to have available on any computer, so that's what has worked for me so far. This idea doesn't have the advantage of seeing friends' bookmarks to view, and I'm sure other advantages as well.

    You've given me something to ponder, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,

    I'm glad you chose to do your post on Delicious. I have found it to be such a helpful resource for being a Speech coach! I often have the need to save articles I find on the web for my speech kids to use as resources when they are working on writing their speeches. It is so useful to have them in one spot (and tagged!) so I can retrieve the files I need for one specific topic rather than having to copy and paste links into an e-mail.
    I think delicious is incredibly useful for students when they are doing research for a paper or for homework. Delicious allows them to save their links, which as a teacher could be useful for checking sites that students are consulting for research if they need to be vetted.

    One last thought about your post though, Kathy. I don't know if you thought about this but the picture you chose to use with your post may be considered a bit suggestive. Four teenage girls in a picture in their swimsuits with the title "What is Delicious?" may have the tendency to be misconstrued by some. I don't want to offend you, just wanted to let you know the picture with the title could be taken way out of context.

    I did enjoy your discussion of Delicious, you did a great job for being your first blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious sounds like it could be a very helpful tool, if I had bookmarks. I'm not even sure I know how to use my bookmarks feature. I am able to make a bookmark but as soon as I do it is lost and gone forever. I think that the tagging feature would also make it easy to find your bookmarks, you did a very good job of explaining the best way to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathleen. I really enjoyed your blog and that you actually tried it to put a real perspective on it. I am a cavegirl living in the dark ages because I know NOTHING aout this stuff. I just joined Facebook this year for crying out loud!:) Anyway, I have yet to use my delicious account as well.....I know we signed up for one, but I really haven't put it to use. I liked your comment about blogging as well. To tell you the truth, I think I would like to start my own blog so this was good practice. Of course I did NOT follow the instructions and started my own, but I am kind of glad that it happened because I ACTUALLY did it in a VERY short period of time!

    ReplyDelete