Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Use it? or Lose it? by: Tanya Winter

21CIFAction Zone Games:
Use it or Lose itFound at:
http://21cif.com/rkitp/challenge/evaluation/use_it_or_lose_it_aircar.swf
is
A
W   
E
S
O
M
E

Where have these tools been all my life?  I absolutely fell in love with this week’s assignment!  I wish I had known about these resources for my undergrad and DEFINITELY the past year working on my MastersJ  I will  absolutely use this tool in my classroom.  This is a tool that I feel any class can use. Most of us will require some sort of essay or possibly a research paper assignment.  What a great way to teach kids what is credible and what is not credible.  The game that I chose in particular was “Use it?  Or Lose it?”  I love the eight questions one is to ask throughout the game via the use of a tutorial. The tutorial will tell you to Use it…or Lose it…based on how you were able to answer the questions.  This is so awesome! I love it!

Eight questions that the tutorial uses that one should simply memorize in order to quickly determine if a resource is credible or not!!

AUTHORSHIP-                      Who wrote the information?
PUBLICATION-                     Who published the information?
DATE-                                     How recent is the information?
ACCURACY-                         How accurate is the information?
BIAS-                                      How bias is the information?
EVIDENCE-                           Do other sources agree with the information?
LINKS TO-                             Who links to the site?
LINKS FROM-                       Who does the site link to?




information investigator

21cif

2 comments:

  1. Tanya,

    Thanks for sharing this site! Those are great questions to keep in mind for anyone evaluating a website. I'll share this with my students, and use it myself as well!

    It's probably just too late at night for me, but the words highlighted made my eyes bug.

    Thanks for the info!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual tanya, excellent job. It amazes me how many resources are at the tip of kids finger tips these days. I recall growing up we had the library and that was basically it. The Internet was still in the beginnings. It makes me laugh when kids hand in research papers and tell me they couldn't find anything to use.

    ReplyDelete