Thursday, August 11, 2011

Teacher Resources


Teacher Resources

Integrating technological resources is something that I think all teachers want to use in their classrooms.  These resources are good for both the teacher and the students.  These resources are a way for a teacher to introduce new and different activities for students to learn the material.  These activities can make learning a better experience for students and the teachers.

 

Wiki

Wiki are a collection a pages that can be created by a teacher or student.  A wiki page can serve many different purposes for the classroom.  A wiki page can serve as a newsletter and information page for a class.  One teacher at my school uses a wiki page to give parents information about what is happening in his class during the week.  He has a student input the information into the wiki so it helps keep the class involved and interested in them.  Another purpose would be to list the assignments for the class.  The same teacher also has a student update the assignments.  When I am done with classes and have more time, this is something I would like to do for my classes.


 

Moodle

Moodle which stands for Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment is free e-learning software available for educational purposes.  The purpose of moodle is to offer a non-traditional education.  At my school, teachers use moodle for two different kinds of classes.  Independent study classes are for students who need a certain class to graduate but can’t take it at the time it’s offered.  Moodle gives the teacher a way for the student to know and keep up with the assignments and assessments.  All daily or weekly assignments and checkpoints can be put on the website along with when the tests will be.  This gives the students a list of what to do and a check for the teacher to make sure that the student is doing the work.  Moodle can also be used as a hybrid course.  A hybrid course will involve classroom teaching with some online activities.  This gives the teacher chances to teach material to the students in the classroom and then finish the material and other assignments on a website.  This gives a new experience to both the teacher and the student.  

www.wiki.com
www.moodle.com









3 comments:

  1. Michael,

    Thanks for giving us information about these two technological resources. We've created wikis for class but it's interesting to see how teachers actually use them in the classroom. I like the idea of using a wiki to keep parents updated with what is going on in the classroom.
    I have never heard of Moodle, but it sounds like a good tool to use to help students who may need an independent study or to help students who need help staying on track with a certain class.
    Very interesting post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, thanks for the information about Moodle. I like the different formats that are in place for countries around the world. I noticed that the site also offers help with installation, consulting, certification, and troubleshooting. I would think that this is a tool that would be easy to implement into the classroom and create opportunities to offer students another option for tutuoring. As a teacher, I continue to see that if we are open minded and willing to provide additional effort, we can create superior learning environments. I am excited about all the new tools that are being created to enhance experiences for teachers and students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like when we made our wikis and think that they are a great resource. I though it was also really cool that we made our own becuase I am not very good with a computer and it was a struggle for me at first but by the time I was making my 4th or 5th page I was really getting how to do it. This week we had a question about if we would let our students use wikis as a credible source and I am a little hesitant but I think they are a good starting point for students. Hopefully they then decide to go research for themselves. As for moodle, I had never heard of it, and it sounds very interesting and I think I would like to play around with it if I ever find some free time.

    ReplyDelete