Tuesday, August 2, 2011

From Penmanship to Website Design

Technological advances in education have been happening since our grandparents were in school. From penmanship classes they took when they were in school to the web designing classes that business teacher Mr. Mercer teaches, technology has and will always be integrated into an ever changing school Curriculum. In past conversation with my parents, they talked about their typewriting classes that they were required to take when they were in high school. (My parents graduated from high school in 1969 and 1971) while as for my sister and I by the time we entered high school, typewriting classes had become extinct and entered the era of keyboarding classes. (My sister and I graduated from high school in 1994 and 1998, respectively) Now in just under 15 years, keyboarding classes are still prominent in high school but classes such as web design have appeared in school curriculum.

Why, you ask?



Technology touches almost every part of our lives, our communities, our homes. When used correctly, technology will help students attain the skills they need to survive in a highly technological based economy. Think about it for a few seconds, what part of our everyday life does not involve some type of technology? Can’t think of one! We’ll neither can I because in the 21 century we can’t live without it! I mean even at the age of 84 before my grandfather passed away he was learning how to email with his great-grand children who lived in Wisconsin.

The importance of integrating technology into a classroom/curriculum is more than just teaching basic computer skills and software programs. Useful tech integration helps in ways shows deepen and enhance the learning process. During my research for this topic, I came across and article from the website called eutopia.org, where they say the integration of technology into a classroom/curriculum supports four key component of learning…..


1)
Active engagement
2) participation in groups
3) frequent interaction
4) feedback
5) connection to real-world experts

More importantly, by integrating the use of technology into the classroom it is yet another way of creating a better relationship between teacher and student. When use properly and correctly, technology helps make teaching and learning more meaningful and fun.


Well, where to begin. It’s hard to believe that this program is nearing its end. I am happy to see a light at the end of this tunnel. My name is Christian Summers, and I am working on getting my teaching certification with an emphasis in Social Studies/History. I’m what one might call a history nerd, and to be honest with everybody I have no problem with that. Ever since I was a kid I have enjoyed learning about where we’ve been and how we came to known the “present.” My favorite era in American History is from the end of the Civil War to the beginning of WWI. In just 50 years we went from, “Don’t shoot till you see the whites of their eyes” to fighting a war across a vast ocean. The technological advances that were made help pave the way to our “present”


When I’m not studying or “nerding out” with a history book or television show on the history channel, I am in my third year as a Campus Security Technician at Lincoln Northeast High School, which considering I want to be a high school social study/history teacher it is a great way of learning how to deal with high school students. And finally, I’m entering my third season as an assistant football coach for Northeast. I coach our freshmen team, with a focus on wingbacks, fullbacks and linebackers. So as you can see, my schedule is as full as it can be, but I manage.

Here are a few websites and opinions, I found helpful about the importance of integrating technology into a curriculum.

http://www.edutopia.org/
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cxyH1qgKZQ

No comments:

Post a Comment