Thursday, August 18, 2011

Interactive Photos and Maps? Yes, please!

Home
Review of SpeakingImage.org

For my week 3 blog, I choose to review SpeakingImage. SpeakingImage is a great online interactive resource to use for your classroom. The registration is easy and takes only minutes simply go to http://www.speakingimage.org/ and sign up with a user name and password.

SpeakingImage is an easy to navigate website and allows you to upload images and make them totally interactive for you students. Teaching about the various countries in Africa? Simply find the photo of the countries you wish to use and upload it to the website. Once that’s done, you can add a speaking image, layer the image, add points of interest, and all sorts of other tools to make the image interactive and informative for you and the students.

If you want to see what other people and educators have uploaded, just click on the images tab on the top of the website. Here you’ll find pictures of famous paintings, historic events, countries, and city skylines all of which have been made to be interactive and informative for use in your classroom!

For example: http://www.speakingimage.org/images/daley-plaza shows an interactive map and picture of the Kennedy assassination and how that part of downtown Dallas looked in 1963. The picture also allows you to zoom in, follow the route of the motorcade, the location of the sniper, and the directional path of the bullets. The picture also allows you to click on various parts to view actual photos from the day of the assassination such as people running on to the plaza and Jackie turning to her husband. http://www.speakingimage.org/images/kate-middleton-and-prince-william-official-wedding-portrait allows you to click on various points of the royal family taken minutes after the Prince Williams wedding and allows you to view the titles of the various royal family members.

SpeakingImage also allows you to join various groups to share images with and chat with users and discussion common interests or to create your own group. You can follow SpeakingImage on Twitter or share information to Facebook. Were I still teaching, I would most defiantly use SpeakingImage.org as an interactive technology resource in my classroom!

5 comments:

  1. I found this website to be useful. I passed it along to the history teachers that I work with. I will also incorporate it in with the novels that I teach in my Special Education English class.

    Great Find
    Jayne Kreifels

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very cool website! I can see the variety of uses that it could potentially have and that is exciting. I like how you can label maps and images so that they link to other content and information. This would be a great website to have students use to get a better sense of setting in a novel. I'd love to use this type of thing for "The Great Gatsby." Thanks for the resource!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great website. This is definitely a fantastic tool to use in the classroom. Using a textbook in the classroom is great for teaching concepts and vocabulary. It is the cornerstone for lessons, but can be limited in drilling down to help students comprehend. Speakingimage is a site that can give detailed information on any concept through pictures, especially for our "digital students". I am very excited about learning more about this site and using it in the future. I also envision being able to use this as a baseball coach! Thank you so much for finding and sharing speakingimage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I absolutely love this! I remember back to my days in school and it was awesome to look at a pop-up book or a video on TV, but this is way to cool! This is like having National Geographic at your fingertips all the time on any subject imaginable! I also liked the idea that you can open it for others to edit. It would be fun to let students select an image from a list you have provided and have each edit it for an assignment. If I were a science teacher I would be all over this!! I also like that each is attached a WIKI so a classroom could openly discuss what they are learning. This is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. Find some multimedia uses in the classroom is always a good method to use in class. Giving the students additional ways to learn the topics is always good to have in your lessons.

    Mike Koch

    ReplyDelete